Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Books I'm reading

Just to start things off, I thought I would list a small collection of books that I am currently somewhere in the middle of. I'm an eclectic reader, and I usually read several books from different genres at one time so that, if one genre bores me, I just jump to another. Here they are:

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Inventing America - Garry Wills
Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals - Tony Attwood
The Explosive Child - Ross W. Greene
The Dad in the Mirror - Patrick Morley & David Delk
A Poke in the Ribs - Jack Popjes
(and I've probably left one or two out...)

I'm not reading any magazines at the moment, although my two favorites are Smithsonian and Books & Culture (published by Christianity Today, which I also read from time to time)

OK, why the above selection of books? The first is a classic, and I try to get a classic in now and then. (This is my first Steinbeck novel.) The next one is more along the lines of political theory, and it's tough sledding. The next three have to do with my oldest daughter and how to best parent her. The last is a collection of inspiring essays by a member of Wycliffe Canada. Of all of these books, I'm enjoying Grapes of Wrath and The Explosive Child the most.

4 comments:

  1. Don't miss Steinbeck's Cannery Row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Will. I always try to read books that are recommended to me. I've already been to the location where the book takes place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The books on Aspergers are of great interest to me, given that it runs in the family. Our daughter is 14, and it's hard to tell where the normal teenage stuff ends and something like Aspergers begins.

    Welcome to the rarified air of the blogosphere, where everyone is an expert and where yesterday's opinions are today's facts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Tim J.: Concerning Asperger's, I'd love to dialog more with you about this. Please contact me by email if you wish or suggest another communication medium. I'll be blogging about AS from time to time as I don't have much else to talk about these days.

    ReplyDelete